What is Bluegrass?
Bluegrass is typically played on acoustic stringed instruments and is a sub genre of country music with roots in traditional English, Irish and Scottish ballads, and in traditional blues and jazz.
Saturday, Sep 18, 2021
2-4 pm – Dan Weber
4-6 pm – Appalachian Still
6-8 pm – Dirty Blanket
8-9 pm – Acoustic Jam session
Dirty Blanket is a modern bluegrass group from the Finger Lakes region of New York.
tells us that they started the band mostly for fun, with him looking for an outlet for the songs he has written. They have caught on with upstaters who enjoy the bluegrass sound matched up with their raucous attitude, and are looking to expand into adjoining states.
“We’re just trying to spread our messages to everyone, and our shows draw the attention of people of all ages and backgrounds. We feel extremely blessed with how things have gone for the last three years. The wheels have been turning faster and faster, and our name is growing quicker than we ever expected. We’re playing a Halloween show in Naples, New York at Hollerhorn Distilling’s brand new venue, and I think the place holds around 250 max capacity – but the event page has over 700 people trying to get tickets.”
Dirty Blanket includes Max Flansburg on guitar, Richie Colf on mandolin, Joel Fedkiw on banjo, and Aaron Oldweiler on bass.
You can follow them on Facebook.
- DikinDurt Distillery will be just west of the stage area with a tasting booth. They are proud to be the first to bring local moonshine to the Mohawk Valley area. Their Mohawk Valley Moonshine is handcrafted with New York State grown grains and distilled in the hills of the Mohawk Valley with a custom 100-gallon copper still built from a real Kentucky moonshiner. All natural spirits are infused with fruits or rested on oak and finished with local honey or maple syrup for a sweet smooth smoky flavor. Herkimer, New York
- Laurentide Beer Company – Penn Yan, New York
- Ironrock Brewing Company is located right in Canal Place, steps from the Little Falls Bluegrass Festival. They are a craft beer manufacturer that produces all of its beer right on-site with high-quality, local ingredients from local farms.
- K Dogs BBQ will have their food truck on West Mill St across from Ironrock Brewing
- The Cafe at Stone Mill is going to be serving ice cream, sandwiches and everything else from inside their store location.
- Mangia Macrina’s Wood Fired Pizza is right in Canal Place
Workshops will be held inside of the Cafe at Stone Mill, just behind the stage area.
- Dan Weber – Songwriting and Storytelling – Time to be decided
- Appalachian Still – Time to be decided
Appalachian Still is an acoustic string band out of Northampton, Massachusetts playing high energy Americana that combines oldtime mountain music with bluegrass, rock, and folk. This New England group has managed to create a unique sound that is distinctly their own yet remains rooted in the heart of Appalachia. Drawing from a repertoire of traditional tunes, original material, and covers, this band combines traditional music of Appalachians with many “modern” influences like The Band, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Grateful Dead, Norman Blake, and The Avett Brothers.
Appalachian Still formed in the Spring of 2005; after busking on the streets of Northampton and honing their chops together in local coffee shops and bars, the band has picked up additional musicians along the way and graduated to the regional circuit, playing venues and festivals throughout the Greater New England area and beyond. They’ve had the chance to open for some legends like the Del McCoury Band, and their songs have been featured on radio stations from Vermont to Georgia. For these boys, it’s all about the music and they show no signs of slowing down.
Visit their website at https://appalachianstill.wordpress.com/
Award Winning songwriter Dan Weber has been described as “The Classic Mid-Life Overnight Sensation” after bursting onto the scene to a standing ovation at the Sisters Folk Festival in Oregon. Since then he’s toured extensively across the country, along the way becoming a rare 3 time finalist in the legendary Kerrville ‘New Folk’ competition. In 2019, he won 1st Place in the Woody Guthrie songwriting contest for ‘Ever Since Columbine’, his deeply moving and timely song about gun violence.
A former National Park Service Ranger (as well as Eagle Scout, Altar boy and one-time ‘Deadhead’), Weber left his hometown of Rochester, NY in 1989 in a ‘beat-up ‘78 Pontiac Trans-Am with a guy named Joe’ he’d met in a bar the night before and never looked back. Living first in Seattle, then off the grid as a Ranger in a sheepherder’s trailer in Utah’s remote Canyonlands National Park, he eventually moved back to the Pacific Northwest. Along the way he picked up stories and hitchhikers and eventually, picked up a guitar and began writing songs. He now lives in Vancouver, WA.
Weber began performing later in life but quickly won over audiences with his upbeat performances and hilarious off-the-cuff stories from the many roads he’s traveled. His songs have been described as “Guthrie-esque” and “Reminiscent of early John Prine” as well as “A rare combination of wit, emotion and Harry Chapin-esque imagery.” None other than legendary Folk troubadour Ramblin’ Jack Elliott said “I love Dan’s songs and he tells really good stories.”
Critics noticed too. The UK’s Maverick Magazine said: “4 Stars: The touch of a true Master Craftsman songwriter” while DJ’s praised “Hank and Jesus is easily the best folk song I heard last year” and The Victory Review wrote “Weber’s writing is as strong as any in the Contemporary Folk community. Goodbye to Dad is one of the best original tunes that I have heard in a long time.”
After the success of What I’m Lookin’ For, which included Oh Woody, (rising all the way to #2 on the Folk charts and winning the prestigious Winfield, Kansas ‘NewSong’ contest) and crowd sing-a-long favorite (I Deal with) Crazy ALL Day, Weber is currently starting work on his next release with more than 40 new songs to choose from. If his phenomenal growth in such a short period of time is any indication, it promises to be his best work yet.
Visit Dan’s website at https://danwebermusic.com/
- The Bluegrass, Brews & BBQ Festival offers music for all ages, celebrating creative expression and nurturing the art of songwriting. The one-day festival will be held on September 18th, 2021 from 2 pm to 9 pm in the city’s historic Canal Place, an open-air family-friendly environment with continuous music, beer and bbq throughout the day.
- Address:590 Garden St, Little Falls NY 13365
- Email:email@example.comOpens in your application